Kristen Nicole Shaffer from Williamsville, IL served as the marshal for the BBA Program at the 44th UIS commencement ceremony held Saturday, May 16. Each year the program has the privilege of selecting one undergraduate to lead the program’s graduates in the commencement ceremony. This person represents the highest academic, professional and personal accomplishments expected by the faculty in the program. Congratulations to Kristen!
Beta Gamma Sigma is the international honor society serving business programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International). Membership in Beta Gamma Sigma is the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a business program accredited by AACSB International. The society grants admission to the top 10 percent of the baccalaureate class and the top 20 percent of graduate students.
- The University of Illinois Springfield Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society chapter inducted 55 College of Business and Management students during a ceremony on May 2, 2015 in Brookens Auditorium. Tom Gihl, vice president and COO of Illinois National Bank, was inducted as an honorary member. Faculty members David Larson, associate professor of Management Information Systems, and Shipra Gupta, assistant professor of Business Administration were also inducted. New BBA inductees include:Danielle Cherry, Matthew Hull, Shaista Shaikh, Elma Dzaferbegovic, Jeremy Scharlow, Ahsan Owais, Nhung Nguyen, Jacob Wherley, and Kristen Shaffer.
- The UIS chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma inducted 64 College of Business and Management students during a ceremony on April 12, 2014. Sarah Phalen, President and CEO of Illinois National Bank, was also inducted as an honorary member. New BBA inductees include: Bilguun Amarjargal, Caitlin Glandon, Paige Heiser, Taylor Jokisch, Prerna Khullar, Shannon Mitchell, Gregory Potter, Erin Putnam, Daniel Sears, Brianna Skaggs, Ryan Steffen, Kimberly Tokarski, Kendra Tucker, Adam Unes, Katheryn Woodford, Alyssa Wright, and Megan Zumbahlen.
BBA students inducted into the University of Illinois Beta Gamma Sigma honor society chapter in May 2013 include Lisa Campbell, Dustin Dennison, Diane Dunn, Brock Menold, Abby Vorreyer, and Elizabeth Voss.
Continuing members include Aprile Combes, Lawrence Crowley, Brett Gerger, Allison Hester, Richard Johnson, John Mayer, Mark Pfister, Laura Rabe, Charles Satterlee, Preston Searl, Robert Vansolo, and Ashley Wilson.
- The College of Business and Management congratulates the following BBA students for achieving Dean’s List status for the Fall 2015 term:
- Dominique Allison, Maria Barnutz, Michael Bazzetta, Regina Bolin, Brian Brackney, Paul Brobst, Christian Brown, Chantal Campbell, Aileen Conley, Kirsten Constant, Michelle Cornwell, Sean Courty, Khalid Dhalla, Kayla Dierkes, Derek Downing, Brett Drake, Brett Eiler, Anna Fedorenko, Jessica Finke, Natalie Fung, Mengting Gao, Steven Garrett, Elani Godar, John Goodrich, Lynnlee Grangroth, Grant Gruen, Matthew Haury, Brittney Heid, Matthew Hull, Sandra Huxtable, Jing Jin, Ryan Johnson, Taylor Jokisch, Megan Jones, Nicholas Kace, Christina Kerns, Aaron Kielbasa, Jennifer Klein, Courtney Knuckles, Wesley Koral, Quentin Kuntzman, Abigail Lawley, Mac Leverenz, Jeremy Lewis, Baibing Li, Wenfei Liao, Teresa Lindsey, Jaamaul Little, Xinyi Liu, Nicole Madoch, Anabel McFarlin, Colleen McMahon, Sara Mehfooz, Kaylan Mills, Phung Dang Khoa Nguyen, Autumn Nussbaum, Meera Patel, Hosanna Perhay, Anh Tran Duc Pham, Shayne Phillips, Jenna Pierson, Chantell Redish, Sarah Rhoades, Sarah Rowlands, Jeremy Scharlow, Jessica Schrepple, Lisa Scott, Eric Seling, Kristen Shaffer, Shaista Shaikh, Madison Shane, Ayomitunde Sogunro, Erik Thulien, Kimberly Tokarski, Dao Vo, Yuhan Wang, Krystal Washburn, Cassandra Wolfe, Erica Wood, Jinglei Yang, and Alexis Yoswig.
- The Fox Award targets exemplary College of Business and Management undergraduate students who successfully complete internships with a Springfield nonprofit organization. Each year Wayne and Margie Fox make a generous $2500 award to the university with the intent to honor two students. Jill Gossett of Springfield and John Howard of Peoria earned the award for 2014.
- John Howard, a recent BBA graduate, interned with the Springfield Community Federation, a non-profit which strives to improve the lives and life outcomes of disadvantaged single adults, families, and children in central Illinois. The primary mission of SCF is to promote community strategies that strengthen family support networks and alleviate poverty for vulnerable children and families. The Federation acts as a clearinghouse for community collaboration including programs offering education and networking for community support providers, referral services for food and basic family needs, and child & family wellness outreach.
- Jill Gossett, a Summer 2013 BBA graduate, completed her internship at District 23 Mercantile & Foundry, a store benefiting the Cochlear Implant Awareness Foundation (CIAF). The foundation was started in 2006 by Michelle Tjelmeland, herself deaf since the age of 25 and the mother of a daughter who is also deaf. Both are able to hear today because of cochlear implant technology. CIAF has provided help and recycled implant parts to more than 500 families in their search to find information and resources about the surgery. After the success of the foundation, the retail store was the next step to help support the foundation and was opened on Macarthur Boulevard.The main focus of Jill’s internship at District 23 Mercantile & Foundry encompassed the buying and merchandising part of the retail business. Jill said that she learned so much and enjoyed the experience immensely: ” I will definitely continue to volunteer at District 23. It is a great store, great people, and it supports a great cause. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with them.” Read more about Jill’s internship
- Jill Harbison and Sinen Aydin, both BBA students, received the 2012 Wayne and Margie Fox award.Business administration student Jill Harbison was awarded for her work with the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois. Jill assisted with development and facilitation of events, assisted with developing and maintaining outreach with churches and schools, cultural groups, and service and professional organizations to enhance visibility, fund raising, membership and program options for GSCI. She also maintained proper records and reports. She participated in direct service to girls in a variety of in-school tutoring and scouting projects as well as presentations to develop troop membership. GSCI is comprised of 7 service centers across 38 counties. It serves 20,000 girls and 5000 adult members annually. Jill completed her undergraduate degree in May and is now a graduate student in the Public Administration program as well as a Graduate Public Service Intern with the Illinois Department of Healthcare & Family Services.
- Business administration student Sinem Aydin was also awarded for her work for the Old State Capitol Historic site. She reconstructed its Facebook page and website especially implementing ways to make the site appealing to all cultures. She assisted in organizing and reviewing the annual report, created a survey for local businesses to analyze results of tourist activity, recruited volunteers, and assisted with summer event planning. Sinem anticipates completing her degree in May 2013.
- Wayne and Margie Fox were both reared and educated in central Illinois. Wayne graduated from Ball Township High School in Chatham with Margie graduating from Springfield High School. Wayne continued to further his education with an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, and a Master in Business Administration from Sangamon State University (now UIS). Wayne started his career with the Illinois Commerce Commission, and recently retired as president of an out of state Fortune 500 gas and electric utility. During this time, Margie stoked the home fires and served as Wayne’s advisor and best friend, and mom to their only child, Justin, now married and living in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, area. Throughout their adult lives, Margie and Wayne have freely given of their time and resources to make their communities a better place in which to live and work. With this award, the University will be able to recognize those students who choose to give of their talent, time and acquired skills to serve the good of the community without expectation of monetary compensation. The Foxes hope to encourage and further that expressed sense of volunteerism on the part of the award recipient, into a lifelong practice. Wayne and Margie now make their home on Lake Tellico, near Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Anna May and Charles C. Smith Scholarship: Samantha M Boettjer
- Michael and Barbara Schwartz Scholarship: Christian M Brown
- UIS Transfer Scholarship: Blake E Burton
- Ron Gibbs Athletic Scholarship in Memory of Ronald and Josephine Gibbs: Trevor Ryan Flota
- Brad and Jennifer Ward Scholarship: Kylah S Foster-Griffin
- Kent Weber Scholarship: Arranda M Gardner
- Eugene R. and Elaine A. Wilkinson Scholarship: Arranda M Gardner
- Northwestern Mutual, D. Patrick Scheina Scholarship: Kylie J Gilmore
- Camerata Music Scholarship: Kylie J Gilmore
- Sikich LLP Accountancy Scholarship: Anais Gonzalez
- Unes Family Scholarship: Christopher Irwin
- Mallory Pate Memorial Scholarship: Eileen Anne Kenny
- Martha Schiebel Harrison Scholarship: Mason A Kling
- James F. Lundquist Memorial Scholarship: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Illinois Association of Realtors and the Real Estate Education Foundation: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Richard and Charlene Osborne Access Illinois Scholarship: Abigail Katherine Lawley
- Lorber Family Scholarship: Nicole Christine Madoch
- UIS Naomi and Robert Lynn Distinguished Capital Scholarship: Colleen M McMahon
- Paul M. Snodgrass Memorial Scholarship: Kaylan Mills
- Robert and Patricia W. Felker Scholarship: Kaylan Mills
- Central Illinois Typographical Union Scholarship: Ahsan Owais
- Marine Bank Scholarship in Business Administration: Ahsan Owais
- Paul O’Shea Athletic Scholarship: Michael A Rothmund
- Gilbert L. and Frances G. Stein Scholarship: Kristen Nicole Shaffer
- Marine Bank Scholarship in Business Administration: Kristen Nicole Shaffer
- Richard and Charlene Osborne Access Illinois Scholarship: Cassandra L Wolfe
- Staley Family Athletic Scholarship: Cassandra L Wolfe