Steps to arrange to complete an Applied Study Term: You should start this process the semester BEFORE you plan to complete the AST!!!
1. Meet with your advisor to determine if you are ready to complete an AST and how many credits you need.
2. Prepare your resume. BUA and MGT students- this involves completing the Business Students Preparation for AST Requirements (While these are not required for other majors at this time, we encourage everyone to complete them as it is a good process to prepare for applying and interviewing for internships.)
3. Start looking for an internship.
a. If you work in your desired degree field, ask your supervisor about completing an internship.
b. If you are in the Springfield area, go to the Internships we have found for you page.
c. If you are not in the area, utilize networking and internship/job search sites to identify an internship- see our Resources to help you find your own internship page.
4. Apply to one or more internships that you are interested in (typically recommended to apply for at least 3).
5. Participate in the internship employer’s interview process.
a. This gets signed by your internship supervisor and your academic advisor
7. Turn your signed form into the AST office- BRK 482; firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 217-206-7415; This form must be submitted to the AST office by the first week of class.
8. Once your form is received your permission to register for the course will be submitted- EXL 300 (or EXL 301 for Project ASTs)
9. Start keeping a daily journal on your start date that you indicated on the Project Outline (even if the semester has not started yet- hours that you don’t have journal entries for will not be counted.)
10. Participate in the Blackboard course and complete assignments for the AST course
If you would like assistance or have questions about this process, you can set up a meeting to meet with an AST advisor, email email@example.com, or call 217-206-6640.
Updated: July 2013