Dominique Wilson grew up in Chicago, in a neighborhood where he often heard gunshots and sirens.
Even so, he chose early to focus on hope, both for himself and his community. He says that’s why he left home so far behind and came to UIS.
One of the highest elected positions at UIS
During the 2015/16 academic year, Dominique will serve as UIS representative to the U of I Board of Trustees, an elected position within the UIS Student Government Association. You can read Dominique’s profile as trustee on the U of I Board of Trustees site.
Dominique’s trip to The Gambia
This past summer, Dominique traveled to The Gambia, Africa, with a group of UIS students. While there, he collected enough money to donate $1,000 to a school and pay for two students to attend classes for five years.
He says, “I did things I never thought I would be able to do.”
The school was so touched by his donations that they built a pavilion and named it in honor of him. The trip has inspired Wilson to become an educator and hopefully one day change education policy around the world.
He says he is definitely becoming an educator and from there he’s hoping to do policy work in education. Whatever he chooses to do, he’ll be a leader. As such, he fits right in at UIS.
As we say around here, Leadership is lived at UIS. Every day.
Here’s Dominique’s Facebook page entitled UIS Student Trustee Dominique Wilson. In it, he keeps students up to date on what he as doing as representative.
To learn a little more about Dominique, you may want to visit his WIX site titled Dominique Wilson, Young Philanthropist and Lifetime Scholar. In addition to Dominique’s story, you can read his resume and about the projects he has contributed to.
You’ll see from this site that he is still extremely committed and active in his home neighborhood–a leader wherever he goes.
Additional Photos of Dominique
Web Content for Featured Letters
- Janice Marsaglia, A Personal Approach to Teaching
- Gloria Dandrige Finds Success at UIS
- Robyn Crutchfield, Prairie Star for Life
- New Athletic Scholarship Honors Tennis Coach Manny Velasco
- Jon Talarico Heads Toward a College Degree
- Gifts to Chemistry Fund Senior Award
- Student Affairs, June 2013, featuring Bridget Donley
- Chancellor’s Fund for Excellence, May 2013, featuring Jaime Cruz and UIS’ partnership with the Illinois National Guard
- UIS Fund Letter and Email, April 2013, featuring Justin Rose