Above: Alisa and Bob Clary, recipient of the William Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership, Chancellor Susan J. Koch, UIF President Sid Micek, Presidents Council Chairman George Kottemann
An Evening to Celebrate Giving
Over 240 guests gathered at UIS’ Sangamon Auditorium Lobby to
- hear Chancellor Koch speak about recent gifts to UIS,
- honor recipients of University of Illinois Foundation awards and the University of Illinois Alumni Association annual alumni awards, and
- recognize the University of Illinois Foundation’s partnership with UIS.
As a culmination to Foundation Week at UIS (UIF@UIS), University of Illinois Foundation President Sid Micek spoke about private giving and congratulated the donors on the difference they make at UIS. President Micek will stepping down as president at the end of the year. Chancellor Koch presented a commemorative gift to thank him for his 13 years of service as president.
Ask Me Why I’m Grateful
Two students spoke about the impact of gifts on their lives:
- Vernon Gair (right), recipient of the Sikich LLP Access Illinois Scholarship and the Kerber, Eck and Braeckel Scholarship, spoke about how scholarships help him focus on his academic work and campus leadership opportunities. Read Vernon’s speech here.
- John Tienken (right), student representative to the University of Illinois Board of Trustees, spoke about his leadership roles on campus and the gratitude he feels in advance for the help donors will provide in building a Student Union at UIS. Read John’s speech here.
Four recipients were honored at the event:
- Bob Clary received the William E. Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership (see picture above).
- Evelyn (Ahbee) Staab Robinson received the Alumni Humanitarian Award.
- Randall F. Witter received the Distinguished Service Award.
- Fred L. Parsons received the Achievement Award.