In some ways, by joining the UIS staff, Lynne Slightom is coming home.
After all, she is a ’92 graduate of UIS (then Sangamon State) in communications and earned an MPA from UIS in 2003, as well as a certificate in nonprofit fundraising. First in her family to attend college, Lynne says if it weren’t for Sangamon State, she would never have earned her Bachelor’s degree.
As a gift officer within the Office of Advancement, Lynne will be reaching out to donors, seeing what their interests are and then helping them help the university. She wants to make the process of giving positive for both donors and the university.
Lynne finds raising money for higher education, and especially UIS, gratifying because higher education touches so many people and covers a wide variety of causes. “Our students,” she says, “are going to affect environmental issues, policies, medical fields and education. It’s amazing the impact they will have.”
For herself, Lynne says college introduced her to a much wider world and helped her see that she could have a real impact on the world. She has helped train guide dogs in California and served in the Peace Corps in Poland. She has also worked with Big Brothers/Big Sisters, the Central Illinois Foodbank and at Benedictine University before coming to UIS.
- Tom Turpin Joins UIS Office of Advancement as Gift Officer
- UIS Alumni Relations joins Office of Development; Effective July 1, 2015, Office of Development becomes the Office of Advancement
- Pamela McClelland receives 2015 William E. Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership at UIS
- UIS announces $2.4M raised for Student Union
- Faculty and Staff Set Record
- James J. Pancrazio Scholarship Fund Now Endowed
- UIS Athletics Welcomes Paul Kabbes, Associate Director for External Operations
- China Exchange Program fund honors retired professor Dr. Stephen Schwark
- Joan Buckles Retires
- Moy Fund Generates Inaugural Grants
- Pave the Way Fund will raise funds to turf Kiwanis Stadium and establish the Aydin Gonulsen endowed scholarship.
- Bank of Springfield Gift Boosts Momentum for UIS Athletics.
- Access Illinois Scholarship Initiative: Providing Access to Students in Need
- Prairie Stars Institutes a New Booster Club: The STARS Club