Tom Turpin, new gift officer at UIS, says that an 18-foot fall brought him to college.
He was 27 at the time and working as a journeyman carpenter. After a hard discussion with his doctor about Tom’s future as a carpenter, Tom enrolled at Illinois State University where he earned a BS degree with honors. He later added an MS Ed. degree from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
As a gift officer at UIS, Tom will be working regionally and nationally with alumni and friends of UIS assisting them with their personal philanthropy.
Tom relishes working with donors. “They are the ‘giving people,'” he says. “They all receive so much joy from their philanthropy, and that’s exciting to me especially because of the impact that gifts to UIS have for the future.”
Before starting at UIS, Tom served as an Extension Educator for UIUC College of ACES and program development and in fund raising for a private not-for-profit.
- UIS Alumni Relations joins Office of Development; Effective July 1, 2015, Office of Development becomes the Office of Advancement
- Pamela McClelland receives 2015 William E. Winter Award for Outstanding Advocate Leadership at UIS
- UIS announces $2.4M raised for Student Union
- Faculty and Staff Set Record
- James J. Pancrazio Scholarship Fund Now Endowed
- UIS Athletics Welcomes Paul Kabbes, Associate Director for External Operations
- China Exchange Program fund honors retired professor Dr. Stephen Schwark
- Joan Buckles Retires
- Moy Fund Generates Inaugural Grants
- Pave the Way Fund will raise funds to turf Kiwanis Stadium and establish the Aydin Gonulsen endowed scholarship.
- Bank of Springfield Gift Boosts Momentum for UIS Athletics.
- Access Illinois Scholarship Initiative: Providing Access to Students in Need
- Prairie Stars Institutes a New Booster Club: The STARS Club