Who can apply?
Any international student who has graduated from high school with a desire to begin an undergraduate program at the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- You must have graduated from high school or be completing your last year of high school.
- You must comply with the standard admission requirements for undergraduate applicants.
- You must meet our English Proficiency Admission Requirements or our Conditional Admission Requirements.
If you believe you meet the requirements for application to UIS, please follow these procedures:
Please follow this list to accomplish admission requirements (print this list)
- Complete the appropriate International Application for Admission form. This form can either be submitted electronically or downloaded and mailed to the Office of Admissions along with a $60 non-refundable application fee (US funds) before the application will be processed.
The $60 application fee (US Funds) is payable to the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Important: Do not submit fees in cash or via wire.
- If you apply electronically, you can check the status of your application online.
- The $60 application fee (US Funds) is payable to the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Send Transcripts/official or educational institution certified academic records. Grade/mark sheets, or attested copies of diplomas reflecting dates of attendance (month + year), classes, grades, rank and graduation for all high schools as well as all post secondary institutions attended must accompany the application along with complete English translation. (Only originals or certified copies of originals will be accepted. Although not required, we strongly encourage students who would like to expedite their admissions evaluation to supply UIS with a course by course evaluation from ECE, WES, or IES.
All supporting documents, in the native language, must be accompanied with an original, certified English translation. This office does not offer a translation service; contact the Education USA Center in your area to assist you with this requirement.
- English Proficiency Admission Requirements
- Successful completion of UIS’ IEP (Level 5) and a 3.5 iTEP
- TOEFL – 500 PBT, 61 iBT
- IELTS – 6.0 (academic module)
- Pearson Test of English – 44
- iTEP Academic Plus – 4.5
- UIS-Administered English Admissions Exam: MELICET – 69
- ELS Level 112
- Graduated from and attended a U.S. high school for 3 or more years
- Obtained a U.S. associate’s degree or higher with a GPA of 2.00 or better on a 4.00 scale
In some cases, the English requirement may be waived, please see our requirements.
Applicants who do not meet these requirements may be eligible for Conditional Admission. Additionally, applicants who do not satisfy these requirements are encouraged to participate in UIS’ Intensive English Program.
Note: All score reports or transcripts must be official. Some programs may have higher English Proficiency requirements.
- Submit applicable personal and academic statements (required for freshman applicants, all other applicants should consult their chosen program of study for requirements).
- Submit all applicable test scores. *
– CLEP and TOEFL:
institutional code for UIS is 1787
– ACT: institutional code for UIS is 1137
– AP and SAT: institutional code for UIS is 0834
*Students who reside in a country where the ACT or SAT is not availble may be eligible for a waiver of this requirement
- Please submit the non-refundable application fee for International Students:
Please include a non-refundable $60 undergraduate application fee (US funds), payable to the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Required Health Records
Students who are not U.S. citizens must have a tuberculin skin test done at the Campus Health Service office on arrival and prior to registering. If the test is positive, you will be required to have a chest x-ray.
International students who have had a positive tuberculin skin test in the past are required to bring a statement from the health care provider who performed the test, giving the date of the test and the size of the induration in millimeters. You will be required to have a chest x-ray when you arrive on campus.
All medical records must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Deadlines: International students applying from abroad should submit complete files by:
– June 1 for fall terms;
– November 1 for spring terms; and
– April 1 for summer sessions.
- International Students must also submit an Affidavit of Financial Support form [PDF]. This form must provide verification of finances that reflect availability of the appropriate amount (for undergraduates) to attend UIS.
- Submitting Information
financial support. Mail the original/certified forms along with the
application fee, and proof of graduation from high school, college, or
university. Make arrangements for your official TOEFL to be mailed from
ETS to the following address:
- Office of Admissions
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS UHB 1080
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407
Upon receipt of all of the above, the UIS admissions staff will review your application and notify you accordingly.