State and University Employees Combined Appeal
SECA is a once-a-year voluntary campaign that allows state and university employees to donate to 12 charities representing more than 2,000 agencies.
The campaign kicks off on October 7, 2014 and concludes on November 14, 2014.
- Completed forms should be sent to Erica Michael in MS PAC 563.
- Visit the SECA website to download a pledge form.
- $1 per paycheck will cover the cost of a hospital blood count for a sick child.
- A $7 donation per week will pay for an athlete to compete in Special Olympics for one year.
- $5 per week can provide housing, a meal and assistance toward self-sufficiency to 20 homeless individuals.
- $10 per paycheck will purchase a lightweight wheelchair for a person who is physically challenged.
- One in four state/university employees directly receives benefits from at least one of the 11 SECA charities.
Annual Bake Sale/Silent Auction
The annual bake sale will be held on October 28, 2014 outside of PAC C/D in the Main concourse. All proceeds will be divided between the 12 participating charities.
Join us for games, fun, food, prizes, and BINGO on Wednesday, October 22nd in PAC C/D from noon to 1:00pm. Doors open at 11:45am for sign in and food purchase. Sheets run at $5.00 apiece (each sheet has 4 Bingo cards) with a maximum of two sheets.
- Deluxe detail from Friendly Chevrolet
- Dinner at the Hilton Nick and Nino’s
- Dinner at the Island Bay Yacht Club
We will be serving hot dogs, Bingo dogs, popcorn and Pepsi products. “Thank you Springfield Pepsi for donating the Pepsi.”
Brown Bag Sessions
The SECA Committee is proud to sponsor a series of brown bag sessions to raise money for the 12 participating charities. Mark your calendar for these fun events:
- Peachy Keen – How to Make an Easy and Great-tasting Peach Cobbler
When: Wednesday, October 8 at noon
Where: PAC C/D
- Fondant Cupcake Decorations for Beginners!
When: Thursday, October 23 at noon
Where: PAC G
- Timing is Everything: Should I Upgrade or Should I Buy New?
When: Thursday, October 30 at noon
Where: BRK 141A
- Holiday Globe Ornament Class
Tuesday, November 4 at noon
Where: PAC G
- The Art of Basket Weaving: Water? Yes! Underwater? No!
When: Wednesday, November 12 at noon
Where: PAC G
Popcorn & Soda Fundraiser
The second annual Popcorn & Soda Fundraiser was held on September 23, 2014. We raised almost $400 as hungry staff popped down to PAC main concourse to enjoy hot dogs, a bag of popcorn and Pepsi products. “Thank you Springfield Pepsi for donating the Pepsi.” Participants also entered to win one of 48 raffle prizes.
The 2014 UIS Committee:
- Erica Michael
- Dr. Carolyn Peck
- Steve Marvel
- Bev Weddle
- Karen Fagg
- Toni Langdon
The 12 participating charities:
- American Cancer Society
- America’s Charities
- American Heart Association
- Black United Fund of Illinois
- Community Health Charities
- Community Shares of Illinois
- Earth Share of Illinois
- Global Impact
- Independent Charities of America
- Special Olympics Illinois
- United Negro College Fund
- United Way
UIS Employees Who Give:
Business and Management
“Giving shows the community at large that we are not only employees in the area, but that we are invested in making the community better. I feel it’s our responsibility to help build the community and make it a better place. After all, we do live here.”
“The program is great. It’s easy, and it’s affordable. The money is taken out of my paycheck, so I don’t notice it’s gone. I’m able to choose what group I want to help, and make a difference in the world.”
Mae Marie Noll
“As a UIS employee, you can be a part of something real and lasting by participating in the SECA campaign. The campaign is one of a handful of traditions that we do every year that connects us as colleagues.”
“I like the fact that I can donate to almost any organization that I want to donate to, whether it’s a national organization or a local organization. And I do it through the payroll deduction, so I can give a bigger gift that way.”
Information Technology Services
“SECA is easy. It’s very confidential. You can give as much or as little as you want. No one who I have dealt with at SECA has ever said give until it hurts. I always say, ‘be thankful for what you have, and give what you can to others.”
CLAS Deans Office
“The contribution I make is taken out of my paycheck, so I never miss the few dollars I give. I encourage each of my co-workers to choose a charity of their choice and give – even if it is only a couple of dollars. You will be surprised how far a couple of dollars will go.”