University of Illinois Springfield
Welcome to the University of Illinois Springfield.
Every year, approximately 5,000 students enroll to earn a U of I degree where classes are small and professors really know their students.
At a Glance
- Calendar: Semester
- Colleges: Business and Management, Education and Human Services, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Public Affairs and Administration
- Research Funding: Approximately $7 million annually
- History: Established in 1969 as Sangamon State University by the Illinois General Assembly. On July 1, 1995, became a campus of the University of Illinois, thereafter known as the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- Location: Southeast side of Springfield, Illinois, near Lake Springfield. Approximately 200 miles southwest of Chicago and 100 miles northeast of St. Louis.
- Campus: 746 acres
Total enrollment: 5,402 (fall 2015)
- Undergraduate students: 2,937 (56%)
- Graduate students: 2,465 (44%)
- Full-time: 55%, Part-time: 45%
- Male: 52%, Female: 48%
- Undergraduate: 26
- Graduate: 31
- African-American – 11.6%
- Hispanic: 5%
- International – 19.3%
- All other – 64.1 %
Where students come from:
- Illinois: 67.9%
- Out of state: 13.2%
- Foreign countries: 18.8%
Faculty and Staff
- Full-time faculty: 225; part-time: 162
- Full-time staff: 528
- Academic Professionals: 218
- Civil Service: 310
- Part-time employees: 228
- Student employees: 268
- Graduate Student Interns/Assistants: 285
85+ student clubs and organizations.
Member NCAA Div. II, Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC)
Intercollegiate athletic teams:
Baseball; men’s/women’s soccer, men’s/women’s tennis, men’s/women’s basketball, men’s/women’s golf, men’s/women’s cross country, women’s track and field, softball and volleyball.
1,047 students reside in campus housing.
UIS has more than 35,000 living alumni located throughout the world.
27 bachelor’s degrees, 20 master’s degrees, 1 doctoral program. Online majors: 1,597
Top enrolled programs:
- Computer Science
- Public Administration
- Management Information Systems
- Business Administration (MBA)
Achievements and Accolades
- US News & World Report – America’s Best Colleges has ranked UIS among the top ten public regional universities in the Midwest for each of the past nine years.
- The College of Business and Management is accredited by the AACSB, a distinction earned by less than 5% of business schools worldwide.
- UIS alums comprise 28% of the college-educated workforce residing in Springfield.
- UIS and its students and alumni add $176 million to the local economy annually.
UIS FY 2015 Budget: $88.8 million
(15 credit hrs.)
|Fees & Assessments||$3,101||$3,101|
|Room & Board||$10,750||$10,750|
|Books & Supplies||$1,200||$1,200|