Joanna Lynne Harner Scholarship
Established by members and supporters of the Women and Gender Studies Program and awarded by the WGS Program, this scholarship typically carries an award of around $500 or more but varies by fund income. Scholarship recipients are selected in the spring for the next academic year by a committee established by WGS. Typically, one or two awards are made each year.
Eligible students: Graduate or undergraduate students, full or part-time, who have demonstrated outstanding achievements in the field of Women and Gender Studies or who have made a notable contribution to advancing the status of women on campus or in the community.
Nomination: By faculty, or by student with at least one letter of support from a faculty member. Selection by a three-person committee established by the Women and Gender Studies Committee.
How to apply:
- Complete scholarship forms from the Office of Financial Assistance
- Complete an essay describing your contributions to Women’s Studies or women on campus or the community. The essay should be typed, double-spaced, and 1-3 pages in length.
- Obtain at least one letter of support from a faculty member.
- Submit copies of the Financial Assistance application, essay and letter(s) of support to Financial Assistance and to the Women & Gender Studies Program Office, UHB 3038.
Please check with the Office of Financial Assistance for information on the current application deadline which is usually in mid-February.
OTHER UIS SCHOLARSHIPS
UIS has several scholarships awarded by the Office of Financial Assistance that give preference to female students. These include:
- American Association of University Women
- Cornelia S. Hodges ZONTA Scholarship
- Cynthia S. Levin Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Pamela E. Peterson Scholarship
- Evelyn Brandt Thomas Scholarship
- Grace Brorstrom Oakley Scholarship
- John E Erickson Memorial Scholarship
- Anna May Smith Scholarship
- Lee Humphrey Dodd Memorial Scholarship
- Mildred E. Roese Memorial Scholarship
- Rosie Richmond Scholarship
- Sandra G. Hockenyos Scholarship
- Suzanna Kay Shiner Scholarship
For information on these scholarships, eligibility requirements, deadlines and application forms, contact the Office of Financial Assistance.