Scholarships for Advancing the Status of Women
Joanna Lynne Harner Scholarship
Established by members and supporters of the Women and Gender Studies Program and awarded by the WGS Program, this scholarship typically carries an award of around $500 or more but varies by fund income. Scholarship recipients are selected in the spring for the next academic year by a committee established by WGS. Typically, one or two awards are made each year.
Eligible students: Graduate or undergraduate students, full or part-time, who have demonstrated outstanding achievements in the field of Women and Gender Studies or who have made a notable contribution to advancing the status of women on campus or in the community.
Nomination: By faculty, or by student with at least one letter of support from a faculty member. Selection by a three-person committee established by the Women and Gender Studies Committee.
How to apply:
- Complete scholarship forms from the Office of Financial Assistance
- Complete an essay describing your contributions to Women’s Studies or women on campus or the community. The essay should be typed, double-spaced, and 1-3 pages in length.
- Obtain at least one letter of support from a faculty member.
- Submit copies of the Financial Assistance application, essay and letter(s) of support to Financial Assistance and to the Women & Gender Studies Program Office, UHB 3038.
Please check with the Office of Financial Assistance for information on the current application deadline which is usually in mid-February.
OTHER UIS SCHOLARSHIPS
UIS has several scholarships awarded by the Office of Financial Assistance that give preference to female students. These include:
- American Association of University Women
- Cornelia S. Hodges ZONTA Scholarship
- Cynthia S. Levin Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Pamela E. Peterson Scholarship
- Evelyn Brandt Thomas Scholarship
- Grace Brorstrom Oakley Scholarship
- John E Erickson Memorial Scholarship
- Anna May Smith Scholarship
- Lee Humphrey Dodd Memorial Scholarship
- Mildred E. Roese Memorial Scholarship
- Rosie Richmond Scholarship
- Sandra G. Hockenyos Scholarship
- Suzanna Kay Shiner Scholarship
For information on these scholarships, eligibility requirements, deadlines and application forms, contact the Office of Financial Assistance.