Clinical Laboratory Science
Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS), or medical laboratory science, provides exciting opportunities for individuals with an interest in science who wish to pursue a career in a health/medical profession or other laboratory-related field. CLS is also useful as a Pre-Professional (M.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., etc.) major.
As a vital member of the health care team, the clinical laboratory scientist works closely with pathologists and other physicians to uncover clues to disease.
Careers in Clinical Laboratory Science require individuals with certain common characteristics. Among these are:
- A strong desire to help others,
- The curiosity in and ability to solve problems,
- The drive to pursue challenges and responsibility,
- Strong interest and ability in clinical laboratory procedures, and
- A high degree of commitment to their profession.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment as medical laboratory scientists
- Prepare students with a solid science foundation and medical and laboratory knowledge to position them to deal with changes in the profession or changes in their employment or schooling
- Provide graduates for the Illinois health care workforce.
The CLS department at UIS offers the Bachelor of Science degree to students interested in medical careers, laboratory careers, and science careers. Please explore this website for more information about CLS and what our program has to offer.