The Chemistry department has several attractive features:
- Chemistry has between 4-15 graduates every year, ensuring a low student/faculty ratio.
- Our students are from diverse populations, locations, and countries.
- 50-60% of our students are female.
- Students have the opportunities to perform individual research with faculty members and present their work at regional and national meetings.
- The Applied Study Term program allows students to perform internships.
- All lectures and lab sections are taught by faculty or full time instructors, not graduate assistants.
- The UIS Chemistry Program is accredited by the American Chemical
- We offer a Biochemistry Concentration.
- We offer a Science of the Environment Concentration
- We offer small classes.
- All of our labs are equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation and facilities that are available to students.
- Our faculty include six full-time instructors who each come from across the United States and the world.
- All the faculty members have a terminal degree (Ph.D.) and have attended diverse public and private undergraduate institutions.
- Our faculty are dynamic, student-oriented, and here to help students achieve their ultimate goals.
Goals for our graduates :
A B.S. Chemist from UIS will be characterized as being able to:
- Integrate chemical knowledge
- Perform appropriate laboratory skills
- Communicate scientific information
- Apply the scientific process
- Participate in the chemical profession